[sc34wg3] SAM 3.4.4 Reification and 3.4.5 Properties

16 Apr 2003 23:21:28 +0200

* Martin Bryan
|=20
| I'd always been under the impression that the only reason you needed
| to reify a topic was if you wanted to make a reference to that topic
| as part of the topic.=20

You can't actually do that. :-)

Reification is what I do if I want to create a topic that represents
the name 'Martin Bryan'.

  <topic id=3D"mb">
    <instanceOf>
      <subjectIndicatorRef xlink:href=3D"http://xmlns.com/foaf/0.1/Person"/>
    </instanceOf>
    <baseName id=3D"mb-name">
      <baseNameString>Martin Bryan</baseNameString>
    </baseName>
  </topic>

  <topic id=3D"mb-name-topic">
    <subjectIdentity>
      <subjectIndicatorRef xlink:href=3D"#nice-name"/>
    </subjectIdentity>
    <instanceOf>
      <subjectIndicatorRef xlink:href=3D"#mb-name"/>
    </instanceOf>
  </topic>

The 'mb-name-topic' topic now represents the name "Martin Bryan".

If I create a new topic

  <topic id=3D"mb-topic">
    <instanceOf>
      <subjectIndicatorRef xlink:href=3D"#mb"/>
    </instanceOf>
  </topic>

what happens is that 'mb-topic' represents you, but that's also what
the topic 'mb' does, and so the two merge.

Topic maps don't have a mechanism for reifying topics.

andards.xtm&id=3Dprop-reifier-topic >

| What does "ordinary representation" mean Lars Marius?

It's the relationship between A and B when A represents B, so for
example between the topic 'mb' and you, or between the letter '=D8' and
the sound I make at the beginning of the Norwegian word '=F8l' (beer),
or between the number 1 and the thing that all sets whose cardinality
is 1 have in common, or ...

--=20