[sc34wg3] SAM 3.4.4 Reification and 3.4.5 Properties

Luis J. Martinez sc34wg3@isotopicmaps.org
16 Apr 2003 00:00:27 -0400

> * Luis J. Martinez
> |
> | Are the properties [subject addresses] and [reified] representing
> | the same thing when the subject is an information item in the topic
> | map?

> * Lars Marius Garshol
> |
> | Good question. The answer is 'no'.

> If I think it's a good question I suppose I should also answer it.
> Sorry about that; it slipped past unnoticed.

Thank you for elaborating beyond your initial 'no' answer.

> The [reified] item contains either null or a single topic map, topic
> name, variant, occurrence, association, or association role item. If
> it does not contain null the item it contains represents the subject
> of the topic.

> The [subject addresses] property, on the other hand, contains a set of
> locator items. These locator items reference the information resource
> which is the subject of the topic.

My point is that both properties are use to reference the subject of
the topic. I don't see the difference between the subject been a
resource outside topic maps and a subject been a resource inside topic
maps. Can we just have a special kind of TopicMapObjectLocator to
point to a topic map item as a subject? There was a long discussion on
this point last month, but I don't think there was a resolution.

Also, I see the utility on an item like an Association having a
property of [reifier] to find out more information about it through
the topic. But, I don't see the utility of a topic having a property
of [reified]. That is what the topic does. It reifies subjects. Why
the distinction between reifying a topic map item or an external
information item? This gives me the impression of a specific
implementation design. Would that make the SAM to rigid for a
standard?

--
Luis J. Martinez
email: luisjm@luisjm.com