[sc34wg3] Some general comments on the RM (branching from thethread Re: [s c34wg3] The Norwegian National Body position on ISO 13250)

Jan Algermissen sc34wg3@isotopicmaps.org
Tue, 15 Apr 2003 23:47:00 +0200

"Mason, James David (MXM)" wrote:

> It's interesting to see you agree that the RM is syntactic at the same time
> that I'm getting other people wondering how it can possibly be syntactic.

I think that depended on the understanding of 'syntactic'....?!?

> I agree that the SAM has much more concrete semantics because it develops
> things like names and associations. But the RM has to establish some
> foundation for your ability to create those.

Yes, that is it's very purpose.

> Is a name a type of assertion?
> I think so.

The RM let's the TMA choose. It can be an assertion type (as I see it)
or a property (if the 'TMA author' decides that the relationship between
a name and the subject that it is naming is not 'interesting' enough
to be an assertion (=to be reified).

IMHO, since the SAM want's to make statements about the relationship between
a name and the named subject (scoping the name) the SAM must choose the former.

> Is an association also an assertion? Certainly. Figure 1 in the
> current RM started out, I believe, as a detailed dissection of an
> association.

Figure 1 shows all the subjects that the RM defines as being neccessary
to represent a real-world relationship. It might stem from the original
understanding of 'association' by SteveN and Michel years ago.

> The current figure simply removes the concrete subjects (which
> were orignially things like "Lena Horne" and "Stormy Weather" and later
> became someone with a Harvard M.D.) and leaves you with bones and no skin.
> It's OK for the SAM to start putting skin on the bones, but the RM is so
> abstract now that the wind will blow those dry bones away.

I hope not. It is hard to stand up without bones.

Jan