[sc34wg3] The Norwegian National Body position on ISO 13250

Marc de Graauw sc34wg3@isotopicmaps.org
Mon, 14 Apr 2003 11:11:19 +0200

Steve Pepper:

| Our experience in Norway is that industry demand for topic
| maps is exploding.

Michel Biezunski:

| One other reason why we are not on a hurry is that
| TM is already an established standard. It is perceived
| as such, and the fact that there is a new version in
| preparation is good. We are not missing opportunities
| of adoptions by not being ready yet with a new version.

Unfortunately in the Netherlands we are not in Norway's lucky position. Last
fall I started a Topic Maps Special Interest Group. It has over 30 members,
so there is a sufficient interest in Topic Maps in the Netherlands. In spite
of this interest, we found very few projects being done or being planned
with Topic Maps. Invariably the reason given by our SIG members was the lack
of a standard Schema language. So we _are_ missing opportunities here in the
Netherlands. In fact, we took a look at RDF/OWL recently and there was a
general feeling that although Topic Maps do have a better conceptual basis
(though not _that_ much better) RDF/OWL are simply moving at a pace which
make it likely to be the default choice at the moment. I feel that if we do
not move forward with TMCL/TMQL very rapidly Topic Maps will end up being a
minor technology in the Netherlands.

Marc