[sc34wg3] The Norwegian National Body position on ISO 13250

Patrick Durusau sc34wg3@isotopicmaps.org
Sun, 13 Apr 2003 17:04:39 -0400

Mary,

Mary Nishikawa wrote:

> Thanks Steve,
>
> You said it better than I ever could have. What you describe is what
> we hope will happen in Japan. It is very important that SAM and XTM
> Syntax move to CD.

First, XTM syntax is already part of ISO 13250 so I don't understand why
it should be moving to CD?

Second, it is more important that the SAM be correct and useful than it
move to CD.

Let me illustrate one problem that I see with Steve Pepper's reasoning
for moving the SAM to CD:

*****
Steve Pepper says (copied from below)

A bigger problem is that new tools are appearing claiming to
support topic maps. What we see, especially in Norway, is that
the increased interest for topic maps is leading to the
development of "topic map" software by people who have not
participated in the standards process. In itself this is
obviously very welcome. The trouble is that the lack of
guidance in ISO 13250 is leading to systems that are severely
non-conformant.
*****

Perhaps I am unclear about what Steve Pepper means by non-conformant but
I am reading this to mean that topic maps are treated differently
depending upon the application with which they are processed. He may
also mean that these applications are not following the syntax rules of
ISO 13250 but I cannot tell from this post. (Steve, can you shed some
light on what sort of non-conformance is meant?)

Now, consider a post from Lars on merging rules in the SAM (for those of
you who missed it:
http://www.isotopicmaps.org/pipermail/sc34wg3/2003-April/001376.html):

***Post from Lars***

|     Specifically, the SAM does not say how (or even whether) the
|     instances of user-defined association types can determine or
|     influence whether their role players should merge.

It does not say how, but it does say that this is allowed:

  "Merging is a process applied to topic maps in order to reduce the
  number of redundant information items representing the same
  information. Merging is required to be performed in certain cases,
  but this is insufficient to guarantee that there will always be one
  topic per subject. Applications are therefore allowed to merge
  topics as they see fit." -- 4, first para

If you want to argue that this should be broadened to cover all item
types I'll buy that.

But, again, no restrictions have been placed on the allowed mechanisms
for doing or expressing merging because this is seen as something for
which applications should have freedom to do as they choose with.

***/Post from Lars***

At first blush that appears to leave merging rules up to the individual
application, which will surely lead to differing results when processing
the same topic map. By analogy, it would be like ISO 8879 allowing
applications to choose their own concrete reference syntax while obeying
all the other rules. Would certainly limit the portability of SGML
documents.

<snip>

> I'll say it again, we need to demonstrate that our standards work is
> actually leading to benefits for Japan. It is very hard to do so, if
> we only continue to do remodeling on a model, or keep one model on
> hold until we do remodeling over and over and then change the names
> and terms in the model, etc.

Standards efforts need to benefit the the entire public community. I
understand the need to also frame that benefit in terms of the interest
of our various national bodies.

It will be even harder to show a benefit if a model, any model, is
pushed prematurely towards CD and perhaps to a standard that allows the
results to vary depending upon the application that I am using. I can
interchange PDF or Postscript documents between applications with
predictable results. Is it too much to ask for the same for topic maps?

Patrick