[sc34wg3] The Norwegian National Body position on ISO 13250

Michel Biezunski sc34wg3@isotopicmaps.org
Sat, 12 Apr 2003 23:13:30 -0400

Steve Pepper:

>A bigger problem is that new tools are appearing claiming to
>support topic maps. What we see, especially in Norway, is that
>the increased interest for topic maps is leading to the
>development of "topic map" software by people who have not
>participated in the standards process. In itself this is
>obviously very welcome. The trouble is that the lack of
>guidance in ISO 13250 is leading to systems that are severely
>non-conformant.

Can you please be more specific here? What do you mean
by severely non-conformant? How many such examples do you
have?

We need to study this in very much detail knowing
that there are 2 possible fixes to such a problem:

1) Make the standard hospitable to software currently
   considered non-conformant. The standard needs to
   be apparently more flexible and open.

2) Make the standard close so that it would exclude
   all software which is not strictly conformant to
   whatever the conformance clause will eventually
   be.

This is a really important strategic choice to be made.

Please give us all the elements to document the
problem you are mentioning.

Michel
Michel Biezunski
Coolheads Consulting