[sc34wg3] to advance Topic Maps

12 Apr 2003 16:11:58 +0200

* Michel Biezunski

| Also, I believe that the SAM has some drawbacks due
| to not-frequently-used-potentially-confusing-features

Could you please tell us what you believe these are?

| On the computer science implementation side, I believe that the SAM
| is not far from as best as can be done FOR A CERTAIN KIND OF
| APPLICATION WHICH IS PRETTY WELL UNDERSTOOD, but is limited to what
| it is by nature. And I believe we can, and we must, do MORE than
| that. That's the discussion I want to have.

I think you've put it quite clearly here. I think the idea of trying
to do more than what the SAM does may be worthwhile, and I'm happy for
the RM group to continue to try to do that. I'm not willing to hold up
everything else while we wait for them to achieve it, however. That's
really the issue in a nutshell.