[sc34wg3] Namespaces?

Patrick Durusau sc34wg3@isotopicmaps.org
Mon, 23 Sep 2002 05:44:58 -0400

Greetings,

Several recent comments have likened the TNC to "namespaces" and I was
wondering if some of other experiences with namespaces might be relevant
to this dicussion?

1. Disambiguate terms (the most common use in XML)

2. Could be used to support re-naming (mapping multiple names one to the
other in a namespace, not supported in XML)

3. Could be used to support inheritance (multiple?) in namespaces (not
limited to inheritance in #4?)

4. Could have structure that denotes higher levels (like Java classes
names, high to low) (Is this the structure that Ann Wrightson sensed was
missing from scope? Ann?)

I think that we have generally been talking about #1 above. Are we at a
point where we can meaningfully discuss 2-4?

(Part of this analysis was developed in conversation with Steve DeRose
on namespaces in general, who is not responsible for the accuracy of my
reporting.)

Hope everyone is at the start of a great week!

Patrick

--
Patrick Durusau
Director of Research and Development