[sc34wg3] Question on TNC / Montreal minutes

Robert Barta sc34wg3@isotopicmaps.org
Fri, 6 Sep 2002 09:45:54 +1000

On Thu, Sep 05, 2002 at 10:42:34AM +0200, Lars Marius Garshol wrote:
> | Some others may want to use "subjectIndicatorRef for subject
> | identity, but not use baseName.
>
> Count me in. :)

Yes, this is just a matter of education of the authors. I, personally,
would not be too excited about syntactical changes in the XTM format.
Not that it is perfect for me, but we have now some code base. Changing
itself is easy, but pain in...

I missed (sorry for being distracted too much) most of this discussion
but what is wrong with leaving TNC (and other merging rules) to the
application?

My apps start all with

         $tm = new XTM (tie         => new XTM::XML (file => 'map.xtm'),
                                       # TNC is EVIL, EVIL :-)
                        consistency => { merge => [ 'Subject_based_Merging' ],
                                       # but I do not fear external maps
                                         follow_maps => ['all']
                                        });

which reduces the merging rules to Subject_based_Merging.

\rho