[sc34wg3] Scope - SAM (as in TM model) - Inferencing

Sam Hunting sc34wg3@isotopicmaps.org
Tue, 3 Sep 2002 15:05:27 -0400 (EDT)

> * Marc de Graauw
> |
> | Good news. Is there an overview of the decisions taken? I think your
> | next question is very hard to answer without the context of
> | decisions already taken.
>
> Patrick and I are working on one. I hope we can post it within a
> couple of days.

I don't think Patrick's original question ever got answered. Now that the
minutes are out, I repost it here:

<repost>
Greetings,

We came very close to resolving the questions regarding scope in the SAM
(standard application model) while in Montreal but there is one
outstanding issue.

The general (but not universal) consensus was what no inferences can be
made based upon the presence or absence of a scope set for an
association, or the presence or absence of one or more topics in the
scope set. All that means is that inferencing rules are not being stated
in the SAM. Applications are free to make inferences, warranted or
otherwise, on any basis they choose.

Can someone articulate a reason why the SAM should provide a rule for an
application level behavior, such as inferencing?

Thanks!

</repost>

Sam Hunting
eTopicality, Inc.

"Turn your searching experience into a finding experience."(tm)

Topic map consulting and training: www.etopicality.com
Free open source topic map tools:  www.goose-works.org

XML Topic Maps: Creating and Using Topic Maps for the Web.
Addison-Wesley, ISBN 0-201-74960-2.