[sc34wg3] Scope - SAM (as in TM model) - Inferencing

08 Oct 2002 02:18:27 +0200

* Robert Barta

| Would it be possible to make the variant structure 'first-class' and
| use the tree-like structure for scope structuring? Say,
|
| t (topic)
| bn @ X Y: N    # (1) Topic t has name N when X AND Y apply
| bn @ X  : N2   # (2) Topic t has name N2 when X applies
| bn @ X Z: N3

You mean, change scope from being a set to being a tree? It's
certainly possible, but I have no idea what it would mean. Could you
give some examples of how it would be used?

| Currently, there seems (at least to me) to be a rather artificial
| distinction between variant ("suitable for processing/displaying")
| and basename ("suitable for displaying and merging").

That's just because of the way it's phrased in XTM 1.0. SAM
generalizes variant names to be any variant form of the base name,
where the author has chosen some name to be the canonical name for the
subject.