[sc34wg3] Draft Reference Model

Bernard Vatant sc34wg3@isotopicmaps.org
Fri, 29 Nov 2002 10:30:59 +0100

Ann

Thanks for your support.

I don't know if HG4TM presentation is going to be "one of the most important things" in
SC34 meeting in Baltimore. I would be arrogant to pretend it :) ... But I'm happy to see
growing concern about the implicit mathematical foundation of RM4TM becoming explicit and
grounded on proven mathematical tools.

Your message and previous feedback from Steve and Sam will indeed push me to plough
further on that track.

Bernard

----- Message d'origine -----
De : "Ann Wrightson" <awrightson@hedra.com>
À : <sc34wg3@isotopicmaps.org>
Envoyé : vendredi 29 novembre 2002 09:32
Objet : RE: [sc34wg3] Draft Reference Model

Hi folks - good to see a more detailed RM draft coming out well in time
for Baltimore (ref previous UK comments).

Comment:

Steve Newcomb said:

... the RM's graph construction rules,
which guarantee that, whenever two topic map graphs are
merged, each of the original topic map graphs is an
unchanged subgraph of the resulting merged graph.  That
way, anybody who knew either of the original graphs
will find the merged result at least as usable as the
originals were.
-----

These are mathematical properties, IMO, and must be tested
mathematically, as well as in the rhetorical processes of this list. An
exact interpretation will be needed for  "at least as usable as the
originals", I guess in terms of similarity of results of similar
computations.
I share Bernard's concern about the kind of graph we end up with,
because an ISO standard is for everyone, not just for current
implementers. It would be good to be able to use established
mathematical techniques to gain assurance that the RM graph has nice
rather than nasty properties for future implementers.
I'm looking forward v much to Bernard's presentation at Baltimore -
please let it have enough space, as it could be one of the most
important things there.

Ann W.

HEDRA Limited
Registered Offices: Craven House, West Street, Farnham, Surrey, GU9 7ES
Tel.  01252 719000
Fax   01252 719111
Web   http://www.hedra.com
Registered in England number 2491619