[sc34wg3] Draft Reference Model

Jan Algermissen sc34wg3@isotopicmaps.org
Mon, 18 Nov 2002 21:34:38 +0100

Bernard,

I think we must be careful not to confuse two different things:

1) The case of the relationship you have with your children, which are
   in my understanding *several* distinct relationships of some type
   at-parent-child.

2) Some sort of a family relationship where one person plays the role
   mother, another plays the role father and several persons play the role
   child  (and those would be the "set of subjects that play the role child")

Back to your siblings example, or more general the issue of representing
non-directional relationships:

If I understand you correctly, and you are saying that the RM must allow
assertion with only a single role in order to model such relationships,
I think you are right.

Example:

"'Hot' and 'cold' are opposites"

This would be modeled in the graph like this:

                               x2
                              /
                             C-----R2
                            /
       T1                  A-----T2
       |                  /
       |       R1        C-----R3
       |       |        /
       A-------C-------x1
                        \
                         C-----R3
                          \
                           A-----T2
                            \
                             C-----R2
                              \
                               x3

The nodes above represent the following subjects:

T1: the assertion type 'at-opposites'
R1: the role 'role-opposite'
x1: the players of the role-opposite  ("The Opposites")
R2: the role 'role-setMember'
R3: the role 'role-set'
T2: the assertion type 'at-set-setMember'
x2: 'hot'
x3: 'cold'

I can't see how this could be modeled without allowing a single
membership in an assertion.

Does this answer your question, Bernard ?

Jan