[sc34wg3] Draft Reference Model

Graham Moore sc34wg3@isotopicmaps.org
Mon, 18 Nov 2002 18:47:56 -0000

I have a few comments and offerings

1.=20

I agree with bernard, it is not clear in the RM how I model symmetrical =
relationships. Such as his sibling example.

2.=20

I think the role types are mandatory for 2 reasons, one general and one =
specific to tm models. The general one is that you may want to make some =
assertion between two things but not really know what that assertion is =
yet. A real world example would be to transforms someones folder =
structure into a tm. Folder structures are weak (non-existant) on what =
the relationship is, but the user probably has a good idea about it. =
Thus having empty role types and empty assoc type allows for the =
association to be refined later. A very useful property when dealing =
with iterative topicmap construction. (Personally, I like all my types =
defined and organised but appreciate that that isnt everyones world.)=20

The second reason for leaving types undefined is because that is the =
nature of scope. I think we came to some consensus in montreal that =
scope is no more than untyped associations between an association and a =
set of topics.=20

3.=20

This picks up on Bernard's point regarding Sets in RM. I appreciate that =
RM does not subscribe to any mathematical set model but i wonder about =
when do individuals become sets?

I'm not sure I found it but if I have two assertions in different maps =
where:

graham worksfor empolis gmbh
graham worksfor empolis uk

and I merge them what happens?

is it now true that=20

graham worksfor [empolis gmbh, empolis uk]

through merging, or are the two assertions seperate?

How does this differ from the example bernard gave regarding his set of =
children?

cheers

gra

Graham Moore