[sc34wg3] RE: [topicmapmail] association source

Graham Moore sc34wg3@isotopicmaps.org
Wed, 15 May 2002 11:52:09 +0100

I think its similiar but we have often encouraged customers to create =
assocs with occurrences. If I have two topics bart and lisa - then I can =
have an occurrence from each to aresource. If however, I an association =
between bart and lisa and type it, perhaps 'Bart Loves Lisa' then I have =
expressed something more useful. If that association then has an =
occurrence to the image of 'bart loving lisa' then I have greatly =
improved the quality of the topicmap. What does 'improve quality mean' =
well in the firts model if I wanted all images of bart and lisa I'd have =
to compare all occurs of both topics for equality, using this approach =
we make assertions or statements about what is occuring in documents and =
not just topics that happen to be kicking around in them.

So, with that I ask do we need something new or do occurrences on Assocs =
solve the problem.=20

I think for what you suggest it would not be adequote, but given that in =
the RM Topics are associations and in the SAM and XTM assocs can be =
reified by topics - they can have the identity properties you require.

So my summary occurrences on assocs generally improve the quality of the =
topic map, the fact that assocs (by one of several ways - depending on =
your chosen model) can have topic identity properties addresses, I =
believe, Bernards requirement.

graham