[sc34wg3] SAM-issue term-scope-def

Jan Algermissen sc34wg3@isotopicmaps.org
Sat, 29 Jun 2002 18:01:25 +0200

Marc de Graauw wrote:

> When we say 'We are open only on Monday', that surely suggests we are closed
> on Tuesday, doesn't it? So I think the way SAM phrases it now, does suggest
> that "...the *assignment of the basename 'economie' to topic X* is
> considered
> NOT valid in contexts where NOT *{Dutch}applies*". And this is wrong - we
> all
> agree about that.

No, as I said, I do NOT agree with that. If the extend of validity of a
basename characteristic assignment is the scope {Dutch} then (at least I)
draw the conclusion that it is NOT valid outside that scope. As you say,
'We are open only on Monday' implies that 'we are closed on Tuesday'.

My point was, that 'economie' is NOT a valid basename for the topic
if NOT *{Dutch}* applies, but that this says nothing about the validity
of the potential validity of 'economie' as a mere name.

Jan