[sc34wg3] SAM-issue term-scope-def

09 Jun 2002 22:19:33 +0200

* Jan Algermissen

| I think that it would really help to introduce a notion of 'user
| scope' or 'observer scope', being a set of topics.

That does make sense. Ontopia has already used a terminology of "object
scope" (meaning the scope of a topic characteristic assignment) and
"context scope" (meaning the same as your two terms) internally, as
well as in Steve and Geir Ove's scope paper. It has worked well for
us, and certainly made discussion much easier.

On the other hand, I am not sure if such a term is appropriate in the
topic maps standard itself. It may be that it belongs in a separate
context, such as TMQL. Or maybe we should just it in ISO 13250.

| You would then be able to apply set theory more formaly. For example
| you then can say that
|
|  'and association is valid in the user context U if the
| association's scoping topic set S is a subset of U'
|
| or whatever the final interpretation will be.

Agreed.