[sc34wg3] Re: Mathematical model (was SAM-issue term-scope-def)

Martin Bryan sc34wg3@isotopicmaps.org
Thu, 18 Jul 2002 10:30:55 +0100

Bernard wrote

> Scientists, engineers and even basic technicians have to get some learning
of applied
> maths to be efficient and knowledgeable in their field. Why would not
Knowledge Engineers?
> The real issue there is that information science and standards community
have more looked
> so far towards formal logic, computational linguistics and the like, than
applied maths
> "lingua franca". Too bad ...

Good points, as usual, but where do us poor information users go to get the
applied maths training that we need to become knowledge engineers? To date
the attitude seems to be that we need to learn formal logic and graph theory
rather than "here's a useful formula to use to determine the relationship
between two sets of topics".

Puzzled of Churchdown, alias Martin Bryan