[sc34wg3] Re: Mathematical model (was SAM-issue term-scope-def)

Ann M Wrightson sc34wg3@isotopicmaps.org
Tue, 16 Jul 2002 11:52:34 +0100

One problem with having a mathematical model is that there a many different
kinds of math & logics which could be used, so we need to be v. clear why
the math model is needed, and what it is intended to do. For the SAM, IMO we
need to get a little way into defining queries and constraints, then see
what questions need answering mathematically, then choose a kind of model to
develop to deliver those answers.

A warning for us is the formal (in the sense of symbolic logic) model of the
ODA standard, which was a nice piece of applied research concerning the
logical formalism used (i.e. gained the people involved some good academic
brownie points), but was no good that I ever knew about to anyone engaged in
using the standard.

(BTW, this is no way intended to inhibit any person in WG3 understanding
this stuff using math models - that is v. useful becase it will provide
candidate bases for later work. May I suggest that in Baltimore we put on a
nocturne at which our various math models are presented?)

Cheers

Ann W.