[sc34wg3] SAM-issue psi-generics (was: SAM-issue term-scope-def)

10 Jul 2002 14:41:02 +0200

* Bernard Vatant

| [...] after that I think we should continue this interesting debate
| off this forum before being kicked off by Lars Marius :))

I have no formal (or effective) power to kick anyone from this list.
Now, I may be tempted to kick you from time to time, but that's
different. :)

In ay case I feel you are on-topic, but slightly off-subject. (Scope
here USENET, rather than topic maps. :)

* Marc de Graauw

| I understand your point of view but I find the discontinuity you allow
| between topics and subjects very strange. For the topic 'Marc' you would
| allow two characteristic assignments:
| - 'Marc' is an instance of class topic
| - 'Marc' plays husband-role in marriage X (in which Y plays wife-role)

* Bernard Vatant

| The first one has not to be declared explicitly. When you work in
| set theory, "set-ness" of every set you use is not declared ...

You still don't understand, I am afraid. The topic and the subject are
distinct. When you say that both

 [marc : topic]

and

 marriage(marc : husband, Y : wife)

are both valid statements you are in the first case using topic
characteristic assigments to make a statement about the topic "marc"
representing the person Marc, while in the second making a statement
about the person Marc (and very clearly not the topic, which is not
married to anyone).

This is a real and highly problematic inconsistency, in that if this
is allowed it becomes impossible to tell what assignments are
statements about the topics they are assigned to, and what assignments
are statements about the subjects those topics represent. Because,
very clearly, TOPICS AND SUBJECTS ARE DISTINCT.

Get it?