[sc34wg3] SAM-issue term-scope-def

Marc de Graauw sc34wg3@isotopicmaps.org
Wed, 10 Jul 2002 11:14:06 +0200

[Bernard Vatant]

> I think all the debate is useless until we formally clear out the meaning
of several
> things:
>
> 1. What does "A is valid" mean?
> 2. What does "S applies" mean?
> 3. What is the logical status of "when"?
>
> 1. "A is valid" means clearly that we can attach to assertion A a truth
> value.

Agreed.

> 2. "S applies"

I think it is important to distinguish 2 issues:
1) The need to have a better scope (prop-scope-structure).
2) The representation of current scope (unconstrained-scope-rep and
term-scope-def).

Your proposal for the meaning of 'applies' makes a lot of sense, but only
within the context of 1). Even if we do not put structured scope in the standard
(that would mean leave it up to applications to invent their own structured
scopes), I think we still need to clarify what 'applies' means.

> 3. Now what is the formal expression of "A is valid when S applies"
> "When" should be understood IMO as a sufficient condition

Agreed.

Marc