[sc34wg3] Re: SAM-issue term-scope-def (Nikita Ogievetsky)

Sam Hunting sc34wg3@isotopicmaps.org
Wed, 3 Jul 2002 13:50:21 -0400 (EDT)

> Message: 1
> From: "Nikita Ogievetsky" <nogievet@cogx.com>
> To: <sc34wg3@isotopicmaps.org>
> Subject: Re: [sc34wg3] SAM-issue term-scope-def
> Date: Wed, 3 Jul 2002 09:35:38 -0700
>
> But there is certainly some set of axioms that we use to make our judgments.
> This set of axioms could be called "Processing Model".
> Interestingly enough it sounds that neither RM, nor SAM pretend to cover it.
> So may be there is a place for an independent "PM" model that should
> answer questions like "what does <two lines are parallel> mean".
> Actually at some point I offered a name "tom-tom" for it (theoretical model
> for topic maps)
> also because construction of some tom-toms resemble graphs - a set of
> connected drums.
> I think Bernard's questions should be a good start.
> TMPM4 was about it, but RM jumped on a lower level (or I am missing
> something).

Not sure I understand you here, Nikita. How was TMPM4 about answering
questions like "what does <two lines are parallel> mean"? I always saw the
"Processing" in "Processing Model" as answering the question of how markup
constructs gave rise to the topic map graph.

Sam Hunting
eTopicality, Inc.

"Turn your searching experience into a finding experience."(tm)

Topic map consulting and training: www.etopicality.com
Free open source topic map tools:  www.goose-works.org

XML Topic Maps: Creating and Using Topic Maps for the Web.
Addison-Wesley, ISBN 0-201-74960-2.