[sc34wg3] name characteristics (was: SAM-issue term-scope-def)

02 Jul 2002 20:11:06 +0200

* Lars Marius Garshol

| We're talking about the SAM here, and there is no way to do this
| within the SAM.

* Jan Algermissen

| Hhmm, can't you reify any addressable resource (including a string
| addressed by an Xpointer expression) with the semantics of the SAM
| and use that reified resource in associations (of any type) with
| other topics? Thus creating 'your own' topic-label characteristic
| assignments?

It's not clear that XTM supports XPointer. In fact, my personal
opinion is that it should not.

If you don't care about your convention being directly supported by
topic map tools then you can do this just fine, but if you need to
have it supported (as in displayed by the Omnigator and other
visualization tools) this doesn't really work. And usually you do need
that...

* Lars Marius Garshol

| Unfortunately, there is no way to reliably assert that a topic
| represents a particular string (issue strings-as-subjects),

* Jan Algermissen

| Why not ?

You are asking me to prove a negative. :)

If you can propose a way to do it, I can explain why that one doesn't
work (or admit that I am wrong).

* Lars Marius Garshol

| and this solution is in any case unacceptable, since it is
| heavyweight and not standardized.

* Jan Algermissen

| Why is it heavyweight ?

An association is inherently more heavyweight than a base name in a
straightforward implementation of the SAM.

| Ok (subject line changed)

Thanks. :)