[sc34wg3] SAM-issue term-scope-def

02 Jul 2002 19:47:18 +0200

* Marc de Graauw

| XTM and 13250 relate names with topics, SAM with relates names with
| subjects. I wondered whether this change was intentional and whether
| there are any consequences.

* Jan Algermissen

| I don't think that there are any consequences. Lars, what do you
| think ?

There clearly are consequences. Topics and subjects are not the same
thing, and should not be confused.

The worst example of this confusion in XTM 1.0 is probably the
xtm:topic published subject. It seems to say that every topic is an
instance of the class "topic", which sounds reasonable until you
realize that it would mean that "tennis" and "Dutch" are instances of
"topic". They are not; they are instances of "subject".