[sc34wg3] a new name for the Reference Model

Sam Hunting sc34wg3@isotopicmaps.org
Tue, 31 Dec 2002 13:28:09 -0500 (EST)

On Tue, 31 Dec 2002, Mason, James David (MXM) wrote:

> I think there's something to be said for Steve's suggestion below of "Topic
> Maps Information Aggregation Metamodel". There's more than one way to get to
> that: we should remember that the full title of a standard actually has
> three parts, which are normally the name of JTC1, the same of the SC, then
> the name of the standard. So ISO/IEC 13250 is actually "Information
> Technology - Document Description and Processing Languages - Topic Maps"
> (and SGML is "Information Processing - Text and Office Systems - Standard
> Generalized Markup Language"). But we can play games with that pattern: TR
> 9573 was "Information Technology - SGML Support Facilities - Techniques for
> Using SGML", skipping the name of SC18.

Interesting! Thanks.

> So likewise, we could name the model "Information Technology - Topic Maps -
> Information Aggregation Metamodel". That would get both the long name and
> the short name.

The more I hear of this, the more I like the modesty (Tony Coates:
"underselling") of "principles."

To an untutored ear, "Info... Agg... Meta..." might sound a litle, well,
"all hat and no cattle."

Not to mention the YHWH-esque connotations of the acronym (Exodus 3:14),
which are to say the least the reverse of modest.