[sc34wg3] Scope - SAM (as in TM model) - Inferencing

Patrick Durusau sc34wg3@isotopicmaps.org
Wed, 21 Aug 2002 04:35:34 -0400

Greetings,

We came very close to resolving the questions regarding scope in the SAM
(standard application model) while in Montreal but there is one
outstanding issue.

The general (but not universal) consensus was what no inferences can be
made based upon the presence or absence of a scope set for an
association, or the presence or absence of one or more topics in the
scope set. All that means is that inferencing rules are not being stated
in the SAM. Applications are free to make inferences, warranted or
otherwise, on any basis they choose.

Can someone articulate a reason why the SAM should provide a rule for an
application level behavior, such as inferencing?

Thanks!

Patrick

(BTW: On a personal note, you may from time to time see:
pdurusau@bellsouth.net on my posts. I have not changed my email and any
email you expect to be read should be addressed to pdurusau@emory.edu.
My DSL service provider has decided to impair normal email service in
the name of stopping spam. I think they want to force me to spam for
them by advertising their service. Guesses for grabs as to who is right.)

--
Patrick Durusau
Director of Research and Development