[sc34wg3] Need definition of "Assertion" in Reference Model

Sam Hunting sc34wg3@isotopicmaps.org
Thu, 1 Aug 2002 10:15:04 -0400 (EDT)

> I will need to report on the Reference Model and SAM at the next Japan sc34
> meeting and we were discussing how to translate "assertion" properly in the
> context of the Reference Model. The closest translation I can come up with
> is, shu-chou  with the 2 Kanjis  meaning "main" and "stretch."
>
> The translation in one dictionary for "assertion" has this kanji to
> represent it.
> It is also defined as, "to claim one's point; insistence." Does this
> capture the meaning of "assertion" in the Reference model?

FWIW (I don't know know Japanese and can't see the kanji in this mailer) I
would say Maybe Not. Ideally, the translation would also have a formal
connotation to it -- "insistence" feels like writing "poem" when what was
meant was "sonnet" or "haiku" (both of whcih have strict construction
rules the poet must abide by).

Sam Hunting
eTopicality, Inc.

"Turn your searching experience into a finding experience."(tm)

Topic map consulting and training: www.etopicality.com
Free open source topic map tools:  www.goose-works.org

XML Topic Maps: Creating and Using Topic Maps for the Web.
Addison-Wesley, ISBN 0-201-74960-2.