[sc34wg3] revised draft Reference Model document N0298

Martin Bryan sc34wg3@isotopicmaps.org
Sat, 13 Apr 2002 10:57:06 +0100

Steve

Thanks for taking the time to explain your thinking to me. I think the key
is the (somewhat incomplete) last sentence:
"However, I can say this much with certainty: a single 13250 <topic> can
demand the existence of several nodes and several
assertions at the dRM graph level."

I say incomplete because I thing the words "of different types" should be
included after "several nodes".

I also think that there is another key problem in the overloading of the
term topic, as stated in:
'OK, then your operative definition of "topic" is not
the same as the draft Reference Model's operative
definition of "topic". '
Later in the same paragraph you introduce the concept of a "topic node". I
would strongly suggest that this term be adoped in the dRM to clearly
distinguish between an identifiable node in the dRM and an identifiable
topic in 13250.

I'm not sure that I understand how your topic-basename assertion type links
to the topic role statement in the preceding diagram. However, this is not
the cause of my problem, which is to do with the restrictions on whether the
same 13250 topic can be referenced as both an assertion type and a role
type. I quoted the example of a topic called "PublishedBy". This could be an
association type. Would this be a role for an assertion, or an assertion
type for the assertion? If the latter, then what is to stop the same topic
from being used as an occurrence role in another assertion.

Martin