[sc34wg3] revised draft Reference Model document N0298

Martin Bryan sc34wg3@isotopicmaps.org
Thu, 11 Apr 2002 10:40:16 +0100

I'm confused about Steve Newcombe's assertion that:

>* Any node that serves as the R end of any CR arc:

   * MAY serve as the R end of any number of CR arcs, and

   * CANNOT serve as the A end of any AC or AP arc, and

   * CANNOT serve as the P end of any AP arc, and

   * CANNOT serve as the C end of any CR, Cx, or AC arc.

   The subject of such a node is always a role (or,
   using the jargon established in HyTM, a "role
   type").

How does a HyTM occurs element that has both an implied occrl (as indicated
by the name of the element) and a type attribute that indicates the Topic
whose names/characterizes the topic type create a node that Cannot serve as
the A node of any AC or AP arc? Surely there is nothing in ISO 13250 that
stops a topic being used to name both a role and an assertion. O298 states
that "Each assertion asserts the existence of a strongly-typed relationship
between some specific set of subjects of conversation" and "The ontologies
of Applications may include an unbounded number of kinds of assertions."
Given I choose to use a topic whose name is "PublishedBy" as the type of an
occurrence element (so that I can have documents published by people who are
not defined as topics) why cannot I also have an association that asserts,
where books are published by people mentioned in the topic map, that the
same topic serves as the name of an association? Would this latter case have
to be a role or would it be, as I feel it should, an assertion?

Yours confusedly
Martin Bryan