[sc34wg3] Scope in the dRM

Steve Pepper sc34wg3@isotopicmaps.org
Fri, 05 Apr 2002 15:33:32 +0200

Judging by the first diagram in the draft Reference Model document posted
by Steve and Michel, scope is no longer part of the Reference Model. This
surprised me because I had the impression as recently as three weeks ago
(at KT2002 in Seattle) that it *was* part of the RM...

[I would how can something as fundamental as this can change so quickly --
and when can we consider the reference model to be reasonably stable from
the authors' point of view? Sigh.]

Having now read Steve's comments on Graham's paper on scope, in particular
the following:

>I want to promote the whole scoping facility up and out
>of the Reference Model and into the SAM.  Here's why:

I realise that scope really is now gone from the Reference Model. Obviously
this is something that needs to be discussed seriously. Is everybody happy
with this?

It also raises the question whether Steve and Michel consider the document
that they just posted to be a full and complete exposition of the Reference
Model. Is there anything at all that you haven't told us about yet, or can
we assume that this is it?

Final question: What do you consider to be the relationship between PMTM4
and the draft Reference Model? Do you intend to continue to maintain and
further develop PMTM4, or do you consider it to have been superceded?

Steve

--
Steve Pepper, Chief Executive Officer <pepper@ontopia.net>
Convenor, ISO/IEC JTC1/SC34/WG3  Editor, XTM (XML Topic Maps)