[topicmapmail] Re: [sc34wg3] Re: Public Interest and ISO WAS: [topicmapmail]<mergeMap> questions

Murray Altheim sc34wg3@isotopicmaps.org
Fri, 19 Oct 2001 15:04:15 -0700

Murray Altheim wrote:
> "Steven R. Newcomb" wrote:
[...]
> > I guess what I'm saying is that the development of a
> > public standard need not itself be a commercial
> > venture.  It can have different priorities.  Widespread
> > adoption need not be an end in itself, but rather a
> > means to another goal.  That other, primary goal,
> > whatever it is, must be the basis of our discussions.
> > Otherwise, we may make a mistake, and, for example, get
> > the wrong standard widely adopted.
[...]
> Eg., my car engine makes a funny noise but it still runs fine. I'm
> not willing to try to repair it unless I'm sure its really necessary
> and I'll not make things worse, causing me to give up it and start
> riding a skateboard.

I think I may have exposed something about individuals not always being
able to understand what is in the best interests of the community. You're
right, it really is about priorities.

While it may seem less convenient than a car, perhaps my primary goal
(and all of ours) should be clean air, economic security (both personal
and national security -- no reliance on foreign oil), and a safer and
less auto-dominated environment.

Maybe a skateboard isn't such a bad idea after all... if it weren't
illegal to ride them in so many places.

Murray

Murray Altheim, SGML/XML Grease Monkey  <mailto:murray.altheim&#64;sun.com>
XML Technology Center
Sun Microsystems, 1601 Willow Rd., MS UMPK17-102, Menlo Park, CA 94025

     i am going to see if i cannot reform insects in general
     i have constituted myself a missionary extraordinary
     and minister plenipotentiary and entomological to bring
     idealism to the little struggling brothers -- archy (1927)