[sc34wg3] Re: Backwards Compatability WAS: Public Interest and ISO WAS:[topicmapmail] <mergeMap> questions

22 Oct 2001 10:06:16 +0200

* Lars Marius Garshol

| if you read F.2.4

* Sam Hunting

| *Informative* Annex F?

Spare me, please.

* Lars Marius Garshol

| We cannot make this change without considering the other issues that
| have been raised (most of them by PMTM4), nor can we do so without
| giving fair warning to all topic map implementors and users that we
| are about to change topic maps ...

* Sam Hunting

| Well, this discussion (pace Murray) is all about giving "fair warning",
| isn't it?

Of course it isn't!

We will have a requirements document for the foundational data model,
and that will either say that backwards compatibility is a must, or it
will say that it's not a goal. _That_ would be fair warning.

--Lars M.