[sc34wg3] Re: [topicmapmail] Multiple scopes on associations

Martin Bryan sc34wg3@isotopicmaps.org
Mon, 22 Oct 2001 08:28:02 +0100

I used to think it was only the European Commission who sent every message
in triplicate :-(

I seemed to have missed something in all these duplicated messages that I
have skipped out of boredom at the polemics they contain.

I thought the plan was to develop a topic map model that would be suitable
for both 13250 and XTM. It would seem we are not, according to the messages
I have been reading. This leaves me thoroughly confused.

If we are only doing one for XTM, are we doing one for the result of merging
two or more maps, or one for a single map?

If we allow for the merging of two maps containing matfching associations,
where themes are used to distinguish between the maps being merged, don't we
automatically end up with sets of scopes on the resultant map? If so why
have a different model for handling the merged map from that for handling
single maps?

If we are trying to do a model that can also be used for 13250 then we have
to allow for sets of scopes in any case (the model for scope is topic+).

If the model is not to be used for 13250 then why are we discussing it on
the SC34 WG3 mailing list? Lets remove this subject from that list if we
agree it is XTM specific. Lets start discussing a model for 13250, please.

Martin