[sc34wg3] Re: PMTM4 and XTM Layer 1.0

Graham Moore sc34wg3@isotopicmaps.org
Wed, 3 Oct 2001 08:03:29 +0100

Hi,=20

I'm trying to follow all this at the moment and use the input to try and
see where the harmonization of a core (PMTM4) and a Higher level model
can fit together.

First, in many ways I agree with Martin Bryan when he said that it is is
important to make distinctions within the map about different pieces of
the machinery.=20

I'll explain this a little further,

I have been looking at how UML relates to RDF and TopicMaps - comparing
metamodels etc, and I've been trying to answer the question - what is
different about UML and TopicMaps.

Here are a couple of the things that I found, i think,

TopicMaps typically make the metamodel, i.e. classes and assoc templates
part of the runtime environment, UML typically never has the metamodel
as part of a run time environment. Thats because the run time env is
often java or python etc, which just dont have these features. Perhaps
the closest we get to having access to the metamodel at runtime is
something like smalltalk.

Secondly, topicmaps at the moment priviledge certain things in order to
achieve commonlaity and interchange. These things are names and identity
structures. Occurrence I can quite happily see as Assocs in the model.
Because these things are priviledge in the data model in the layer 1.0
model, there is no ambiguity about them - interchange and
interoperability is strengthened.

One concern I have about PMTM4 is that becuase everything is so regular,
these distinctions are lost from the basic data model. PMTM4 is reliant
on the fact that people interpret a Data driven model with the correct
semantics rather than the semantics of the model (when I use semantics
here I mean the ability to find a topics name etc, the ability to find
out about the topic map from the data model.) being an integral,
unambiguous, part of the model.=20

An example, if names are modelled as assocs in PMTM it requires that
there are PSIs, probably, to identify name structures, these have to be
interpreted by SW in order to impose the correct semantic upon these
regular structures. If naming is a first class principle then it should
be there as such.

Returning to the UML / TM comparison, identity is *in* UML, but it
doesnt make the distinction between resolvable topics and conceptual
ones. However, being UML it could create an class to do this - the point
is that it isnt standardised. I think this is one of the best things TM
offers the world.

Another UML reference. PMTM4 see everything as a topic, including
strings and I assume integers - this brings it very close to the UML
model that just connects Objects togther.=20

As the full PMTM4 model isnt described yet - I dont see what in a data
model a Topic now looks like :

e.g.

<topic>
	<baseName>
		<baseNameString>Graham</baseNameString>
	</baseName>
</topic>

Generate 2 topics in PMTM4

1. topic for the topic named 'graham'

and=20

2. a topic for the string 'graham'

Now, what I ask steve and michel is, how does this micro part of the
model pan out, does for example a topic have a type - like string, int,
Object, Topic?

Topic.value =3D> "graham" ??
Topic.type  =3D> "String"

I am concerned that by making everything a topic here we are getting
into a lot of other issues, such as data types etc, and if this is the
route we want to take then I think that the large similarities with UML
and the fact that it does all of this stuff already, we should consider
adapting the UML metamodel model to have the new properties of
TopicMaps.

One last question that got me started thinking about PMTM4 integration
with a higher abstraction,

in the above exmaple most people - users? - would imagine they had added
1 Topic and 1 String into the system.=20

Asking PMTM4=20

TopicMap.getTopics().size() || TopicMap.topics.length || Card(topic) ||
etc

would yield *2*

Asking a higher level of abstraction would yield *1*

At the moment I see this as a BIG stumbling block to getting a
integrated model. If I hope i've missed something obvious.

This mail has just been a question asking one which I need some thoughts
on and answers to before putting more effort into a paper on UML and
TopicMaps and the work on the ISO Data Model.

gra