[sc34wg3] TMQL Enterprise Information Integration

Lars Heuer heuer at semagia.com
Wed Sep 9 10:41:47 EDT 2009

Hi Patrick,

[...]
> And how do you propose in TMQL to view the different data stores if, say
> for example, TMQL could only speak of topics, associations and occurrences?

I think, this is behind the TMQL specification. TMQL specifies the
grammar and to some extend the model (sequences, tuples etc.) and the
mapping to TMRM. Whether a 'classical' Topic Maps engine or any other
data source, i.e. an IMAP4 account, is queried, is irrelevant for
TMQL. And the (virtual) mapping to TMRM/TMDM of the external data
source (i.e. the e-mails) to topics etc. is also irrelevant.

TMQL simply assumes that it operates upon TMRM/TMDM.

[...]
> The current draft, which I know isn't popular reading material, answers
> that question by positing a tuple structure which can then be addressed
> by any TMQL implementation as topics, associations and occurrences. (I
> am using "topics, associations and occurrences" as a short hand for any
> relevant topic map constructs and not by way of limitation.)

In my opinion the current draft is sufficient (mandating sequences,
tuples and TMRM mapping), nothing more is needed here.

Best regards,
Lars
--
Semagia