[sc34wg3] XTM 2.0 topicRef - proposal for an erratum

Lars Marius Garshol larsga at garshol.priv.no
Wed Oct 21 03:34:25 EDT 2009

* Lars Heuer

> You can parse XTM 2.0 topic maps with an XTM 2.1 parser but you
> cannot read XTM 2.1 topic maps with a 2.0 parser.

* Steve Pepper

> I don't care so much about the parser. My concern is for the
> validity of
> existing topic maps. I would not want to see a change that rendered
> 2.0 topic maps invalid, but as long as a 2.0 topic map is regarded
> as valid by an 2.1 parser, we have the backwards compatibility I
> care about.

Under Lars's proposal, no XTM 2.0 files would be invalid XTM 2.1 files
(if they were, the parser would reject them). Nor will any XTM 2.0
files be interpreted incorrectly by an XTM 2.1 parser. So, yes, it's
backwards compatible in every meaningful sense.

--Lars M.
http://www.garshol.priv.no/tmphoto/
http://www.garshol.priv.no/blog/