[sc34wg3] Media type registration for XTM

Lars Marius Garshol larsga at garshol.priv.no
Fri Nov 20 06:56:11 EST 2009

* Graham Moore

> Interoperability considerations: It is RECOMMENDED that XTM documents
> use the new XTM 2.0 syntax [ISO13250-3] as opposed to the older XTM
> 1.0 syntax [XTM1.0]. In general use of features of XML which XML
> processors may choose not to support should be avoided.
>
> Based on the timings will XTM 2.1 be 'out' before this?

Realistically, no. Apparently we have to do a new work item proposal (have filled in the form, waiting for feedback) and then go through a full sequence of ballots. It can be faster than normal, but it's still going to take a long time.

However, maybe we should mention that XTM 2.1 is on the way.

How about adding a paragraph like this?

  ISO SC34 is currently developing XTM 2.1, which is backwards
  compatible with XTM 2.0. When XTM 2.1 becomes a standard it is
  RECOMMENDED to use XTM 2.1 instead of XTM 2.0, despite 2.0
  being a subset, because 2.1 is better suited to the interchange
  of fragments over the internet.

--Lars M.
http://www.garshol.priv.no/tmphoto/
http://www.garshol.priv.no/blog/