[sc34wg3] Query requirements

Patrick Durusau patrick at durusau.net
Fri Nov 6 22:17:05 EST 2009

Greetings!

I ran across a very useful listing with illustrations of requirements
for queries across multidimensional data. The paper is fairly complete
and runs about 40 pages but just to tweak your interest, here is the
short form of the requirements they isolate, analyze and compare to
existing solutions (in 2001):

1. Explicit hierarchies in dimensions

2. Multiple hierarchies in each dimension

3. Support for aggregation semantics

4. Non-strict hierarchies

5. Non-onto hierarchies

6. Non-covering hierarchies

7. Symmetric treatment of dimensions and measures

8. Many-to-many relationships between facts and dimensions

9. Handling change and time

10. Handling different levels of granularity

11. Handling imprecision

Details: "A foundation for capturing and querying multidimensional
data," Torben Bach Pedersen, Christian S. Jensen, Curtis E. Dryson,
Information Systems 26 (2001) 383-423. (also available from:
http://citeseerx.ist.psu.edu/viewdoc/summary?doi=10.1.1.22.6209)

I didn't seek this out because the use cases are based on the study of
diabetes but that does make the examples seem less theoretical and more
"practical" from my perspective.

Hope everyone is looking forward to a great weekend!

Patrick

--
Patrick Durusau
patrick at durusau.net