[sc34wg3] TMQL proposal

Lars Marius Garshol larsga at garshol.priv.no
Fri Nov 6 07:33:42 EST 2009

* Patrick Durusau

> Slide 14, what are "...the higher levels of TMQL"?

Uhm. I realize that is rather vague, now that you mention it. I meant
FLWR/SELECT statements.

> While realizing this is not a standards draft, I must confess the
> absence of a discussion of formal semantics, tuple operations, the
> absence of set operators, etc., disturbing.

We're not dealing with formal semantics just yet, because we want to
get community feedback on what we are trying to do first, before
trying to specify it fully. The formal semantics will be done later,
once we have agreement on the form of the language. (And probably they
will look rather like what is already in the draft.)

Tuple operations: this was deliberately omitted from the path language
proposal. I've added a slide making this clear.

Set operators: as the slides say, this will be provided in SELECT/FLWR
statements, but not as part of the path expressions.

> Are there plans to explicitly call those and other features of the
> existing draft out for discussion prior to the presentation of a new
> draft?

I'm not sure I understand this question. What do you mean?

> BTW, I will be issuing a notice of a conference call based meeting
> early next week. JTC 1 is going to offer teleconferencing facilities
> to WGs. I don't have all the details but it appears that it will be
> a combination of telephone and web conferencing facilities.

Sounds great. Certainly worth a try.

--Lars M.
http://www.garshol.priv.no/tmphoto/
http://www.garshol.priv.no/blog/