[sc34wg3] Supporting variants in TMCL

Are Gulbrandsen a.d.gulbrandsen at usit.uio.no
Mon Nov 2 07:40:49 EST 2009

Hi

Steve Pepper 30. okt. 2009:
> Are Naito-san and I really the only two users of non-SAE languages
> [2] that care
> about variant names? Are they not widely used in Korea and China,
> for example,
> as well as Japan? What about topic maps in Cyrillic, Arabic,
> Devanagari, etc.
> etc.?

For some more input into this discussion, I can recommend reading Xuân
Baldaufs paper for TMRA 2009, "Modeling Names", which I had the chance
of reviewing:
http://tmra.de/2009/talks/Modeling_Names

The paper is not yet published on the TMRA website, but I'm sure Xuân
wouldn't mind that interested people got to read it before the
conference. (Cc to Xuân)

In the acknowledgement he writes:

Thanks go to the MOTOMU NAITO who raised the issue that there is a
multitude of renderings of the very same Japanese name (14). This
paper is based on and inspired by a mailing list thread which was
effectively started by LARS HEUER suggesting that nobody would need
variant items (15).

14 See http://www.infoloom.com/pipermail/topicmapmail/2009q2/007486.html
15 See http://www.infoloom.com/pipermail/topicmapmail/2009q2/007482.html

Steve Pepper 2. nov. 2009: