[sc34wg3] TMCL 6.7 Overlap Declaration

Lars Marius Garshol larsga at garshol.priv.no
Tue Jun 23 05:24:01 EDT 2009

* Steve Pepper

> So, in the case I cited, I would need to:
>
> (1) define a new template that allows 20 overlaps associations
> (2) call that template and specify all 20 subtypes of Instrumentalist
>
> Correct?

You'd need to produce a tmcl:overlap-declaration topic that has 20
tmcl:overlaps associations, but how you do it is up to you. So that
would be one way among many.

> But it is still too much work when creating a TMCL schema
> (especially since there may well be multiple types whose subtypes
> are not disjoint).

It's not a given that either all subtypes will be disjoint or none
will be.

> From a maintenance perspective it is also more work than it needs to
> be: Each time a new subtype is added to the ontology, both the
> template and the call to the template have to be modified.

The constraint has to be modified, yes.

> That shouldn't be necessary. Instead it should be possible to
> declare the following
>
> 	tmcl:non-disjoint-subtypes( on:Instrumentalist )
>
> and be done with all current (and future) subtypes of Instrumentalist.
>
> Will the editors consider adding something along these lines?

Certainly.

--Lars M.
http://www.garshol.priv.no/tmphoto/
http://www.garshol.priv.no/blog/