[sc34wg3] Semicolon or not semicolon

Lars Heuer heuer at semagia.com
Tue Jan 29 14:00:12 EST 2008

Hi Dmitry,

[...]
> I would prefer it this way:

> paul
[...]
>      last_name - "McCartney";
>      isa person, musician;
>      o:works-for    [o:The-Beatles - "The Beatles], o:The-Wings;
>      o:homepage  <http://www...>
> .

Yeah. I don't want to reject your input, but IIRC we were at this
point already as we discussed the Montréal proposal to use colons
everywhere. The result of that hard and long discussion was:

  - isa/ako are keywords and do not require colons or parenthesis
  - Template invocations require parenthesis
  - Occurrence types / name types require a colon

These resolutions were the starting point for N0935.

To your proposal:
- QNames for templates do not work, since Montréal and Kyoto proposed
  to remove the template-import-directive in favour of a revised
  include-directive
- A comma does not work for a list of values, otherwise the following
  is undecidable:

    occ <http://a.com/> @<http://b.com/>, <http://c.com/>;

  How many occurrences do you count here? Belongs <http://c.com/> to
  the scope of the occurrence or is it another occurrence value?

I think N0935 and the Kyoto proposals should be the starting point for
a discussion and not a completely different syntax. Sure, we can
discuss a completely different syntax but we hold up TMQL and TMCL and
we're running out of time, IMO.

The "semicolon or not semicolon" proposal was a try to merge the
communities ("pro semicolon" and "against semicolon").

Best regards,
Lars
--
http://www.semagia.com