[sc34wg3] CTM - prefix declaration

Lars Marius Garshol larsga at garshol.priv.no
Tue Jan 29 06:36:32 EST 2008

* Robert Barta

> So, if I import a CTM file which happens to use the same prefix as I
> did, I have to do a renaming? I thought that prefixes are purely
> syntactic and are resolved at parsing time. So treating them local to
> the file where they were defined in is not possible?

There's a difference between "include" and "mergemap". This only
happens in the former case, but the former case was created precisely
in order to allow you to share as much as possible between files. If
you want to manage them separately, use "mergemap".

> And to think now as an implementor, do I need to keep track of the
> prefixes over the boundaries of the CTM files (streams), just to
> detect that a double use is a violation? Isn't this a case of
> "allowing it is much simpler than disallowing it"?

The rule forbidding this is not so much the issue. The issue is more
whether you should be able to reuse prefixes declared in another file.

--Lars M.