[sc34wg3] Multi-line comments in CTM

Patrick Durusau patrick at durusau.net
Fri Jan 18 11:24:38 EST 2008

Greetings!

One of the issues that was discussed in Kyoto was the syntax for a
multi-line comment delimiter.

I have come to wonder if the purpose of comment delimiter should have an
impact on its syntax?

Consider that I might want to "comment out" an entire section of
template definitions. In that case, inserting (or removing) a "#" mark
from the front of each line would be very tedious. In that case, then
some syntax:

##### Start comment

template(s)

##### End comment

(Replace #### with your candidate syntax) It would not necessarily have
to be templates that are "commented out" but I use that simply as an
illustration.

On the other hand, if I am merely using the comments to document some
part of the topic map, then simply starting every line with a # is trivial.

#
# Here is a multi-line
# comment to document
# some fact or another
#

So, I guess my question is whether or not a multi-line comment mechanism
is thought to be necessary for commenting out blocks of material in a
CTM instance?

Hope everyone is having a great day!

Patrick

--