[sc34wg3] CTM draft dtd. 2007-09-09 - Templates

Dipl.-Wirtsch.-Inf. Lutz Maicher maicher at informatik.uni-leipzig.de
Tue Sep 25 10:47:32 EDT 2007

Hi Gabriel,

Patrick has requested a room for Saturday/Sunday/Monday after the
conference. I have already booked and paid the rooms. You should ask
Patrick for more details.

Greetings from Leipzig,
Lutz

Gabriel Hopmans schrieb:
> Hi all,
> first of all, does anyone knows about the iso meeting in Leipzig? I
> may have missed it but I haven't seen a thing about it.
>
> On 9/25/07, *Lars Heuer * <heuer at semagia.com
> <mailto:heuer at semagia.com>> wrote:
>
>     Hi Steve,
>
>     > I'm not sure why this should be a problem. Why can't the parser just
>     > report an error when it either
>
>     > 1) encounters an identifier that is identical to the name of an
>     already
>     >    defined template, or
>
>     > 2) encounters a template definition whose name has already been used
>     >    as an identifier?
>
>     It could, but IMO this is too expensive and it would be bad if
>     template names 'steal' topic identifiers. Remember, that templates
>     can
>     also be addressed by a QName which may steal possible topic
>     identifiers (subject identifiers).
>
>     All in all I don't like that feature for the following reasons:
>     - Template names steal possible topic identifiers (local identifiers
>       *and* subject identifiers)
>     - Typos are not detected
>     - Users cannot determinate from a topic fragment if an occurrence is
>       created or a template is invoked:
>       - If the template was defined 80 lines before the topic fragment,
>         the user has to scroll up an down)
>       - If someone sends a fragment to another person, that person cannot
>         see if a template is invoked or an occurrence is created
>         -> bad for debugging
>     - Bad language design: Explicit is better than implicit
>

> Ok, and can we also list the dis-advantages of the pre-Montreal syntax ?
> (apart from the fact that is looks rather messy)
>
> Gabriel

Dipl.-Wirtsch.-Inf. Lutz Maicher
Abteilung Automatische Sprachverarbeitung
Institut für Informatik | Universität Leipzig
Johannisgasse 26 | 04103 Leipzig

phone: 0049 - 341 - 97 - 32303
fax:   0049 - 341 - 97 - 32299
mail: maicher at informatik.uni-leipzig.de