[sc34wg3] TMQL: Keywords - Reserved or not?

Robert Barta rho at devc.at
Mon Oct 29 04:06:17 EDT 2007

On Thu, Oct 25, 2007 at 06:18:09PM +0200, Lars Heuer wrote:
> The current TMQL draft does not mention if the keywords "select",
> "for", "players" etc. are reserved or not. Since TMQL steals... aehm
> ... borrows many things from XQuery, users may assume that TMQL has no
> reserved words (in XQuery the meaning of "for", "return" etc. depend
> on the context).

I had though about that and in the tutorial document

   http://kill.devc.at/system/files/language.html#id2479052

there is a gentle touch on it.

> This issue should be clarified.

I am not yet convinced that 'select', 'where', .... have to be
promoted to "reserved", more to that what they are already via the
grammar.

If the grammar says

  "a following terminal 'select' means "we start a SELECT expression"

then this is all what is necessary. I personally have no problem with this:

  select select / name
  where
     where / homepage == "http://where.com"

I find this more robust and defensive than actually defining keywords, because
then this would not be possible

  """
  for
   ! Fiber Optic Receiver
   tutorial: http://www.arcelect.com/fibercable.htm
  """

  select for / name

There should be only a minimal amount of constellations where an item
identifier could be confused with a terminal. I only found one such
constellation so far.

\rho
--
And then he said: "You should read my blog." http://kill.devc.at/