[sc34wg3] CTM draft dtd. 2007-09-09 - Templates

Steve Pepper pepper.steve at gmail.com
Fri Oct 5 12:02:15 EDT 2007

* Lars Marius Garshol

| What we have here is a group of requirements which are mutually
| incompatible, as follows:

[remainder of the posting below]

Lars Marius' analysis is (as usual) incisive and spot on, but I think we
need to go further and ask the question, is this just a difference of
opinion, or does it reflect something deeper? I think it reflects something
deeper.

We are all looking for elegance, but of different kinds.

Lars H. and Robert (in particular) are looking for an overall design
elegance that primarily reflects the needs of the programmer. Dmitry and I
(among others) are looking for a presentational elegance that primarily
reflects the needs of the end user. That is not to say that any of us wish
to ignore the needs of the other constituency; it's a question of what we
should prioritize.

To my mind, and I think also most users who are not also programmers, (1) is
far tidier, more readable, more visually appealing and less confusing than a
syntax in which the colons are sometimes there (names and occurrences) and
sometimes not (associations expressed through templates):

(1)
   *e41 isa: entry
     - title: "About Dublin Core in Topic Maps"
     date: 2007-08-07
     subject:  Subject-centric_computing
     subject:  Dublin_Core
     creator:  Steve_Pepper
     contributor:  Dmitry_Bogachev

These are important qualities that should not be underestimated, and I think
they are critical to the adoption of CTM. A casual reader of (1) will have
absolutely no problem understanding what is intended, and will not be thrown
off by what to her will seem like gratuitous anomalies, cf. (2):

(2)
   *e41 isa entry
     - title: "About Dublin Core in Topic Maps"
     date: 2007-08-07
     subject   Subject-centric_computing
     subject   Dublin_Core
     creator   Steve_Pepper
     contributor   Dmitry_Bogachev

Lars H argues that the reader will not be able to fully understand (1)
without referring back through the rest of the topic map. Actually the same
thing applies to (2), except that the user in this case receives a signal
(no colon) that a template has been used. The casual user is then expected
to know that she has to refer back to the template in order to interpret the
fragment.

Even assuming our user had the necessary sophistication, this little piece
of extra information is not, to my mind, sufficiently useful as to warrant
what *looks like* an inconsistent syntax.

(Actually, the truth is that no-one can know exactly what a fragment "means"
out of context and without having performed CTM parsing. If you want to be
absolutely sure what the result will be, you have to deserialize the whole
CTM document into the TMDM.)

The price we pay is reduced elegance of design, as a programmer would see
it, and that is a price I think we should be willing to pay, for the sake of
end users.

If people really think this is a problem, my conclusion is rather we have
made templates *too powerful*. Perhaps we shouldn't have allowed more or
less any *any* fragment of CTM to be included in a template. Perhaps we
should instead restrict them to just what unsophisticated users (and TMCL)
really needs.

Steve