[sc34wg3] <mergeMap/> and security

Murray Altheim murray06 at altheim.com
Mon Mar 27 00:43:41 EST 2006

Quoting Patrick Durusau <patrick at durusau.net>:
[...]
> But your argument has uncovered a problem with the original syntax.
>
> Instead of:
>
> ATTLIST mergemap
>
> id ID #IMPLIED
> xlink:type FIXED 'simple'
> xlink:href CDATA #REQUIRED
>
> We should have added:
>
> xlink:actuate (onLoad | onRequest | other | none ) #IMPLIED

Patrick,

If memory serves me correctly, that after considerable discussion
we decided against specifying the 'actuate' attribute in XTM 1.0
(which is optional on simple links) because it was considered
inappropriate as a general mechanism for specifying how and when
the link to a given resource should be traversed, i.e., that this
was an application-dependent issue, not something to which a Topic
Map author would be a reliable judge.

There are few if any authors who would know the correct value for
when a given mergemap traversal should occur for any given Topic
Map document and application, and this might also vary depending
on the context of usage. Since the 'actuate' attribute's behaviour
is a "should"-style requirement in XLink [1], an incorrect value
could have very detrimental effects. Certainly in my experience,
the traversal order of mergemaps completely makes or breaks the
functionality of my application, i.e., wrong order, nothing works.

As such, I believe leaving it as an application-dependent property
is probably still the best decision.

Murray

[1] XLink 'actuate':  http://www.w3.org/TR/xlink/#actuate-att
Murray Altheim <murray06 at altheim.com>                              ===  = =

      In the evening
      The rice leaves in the garden
      Rustle in the autumn wind
      That blows through my reed hut.  -- Minamoto no Tsunenobu