[sc34wg3] TR: comment - RDFTM: Survey of Interoperability Proposals

Fri, 11 Mar 2005 15:36:00 +0100

* Murray Altheim

| How are you differentiating "logic" and "mathematical" as regards
| models?

Set theory, graph theory, the theory of algorithmic complexity,
abstract algebra, rewriting systems, etc etc are all part of
mathematics, but not they are not logic. Quite a few of these
mathematical subfields *could* have been used to create a model of
topic maps that would not be a logical model.

| It is the field of mathematical logic (including set theory and
| others) that provides the tools by which we may create model
| theories.

Correct. \Tau doesn't use mathematical logic, nor model theory,
however. Hence my suspicion that \Tau wouldn't satisfy
Patel-Schneider's requirements.

| [...] I hardly think it fair to so quickly dismiss Robert's work as
| not fulfilling Patel-Schneider's putative requirements.

I'm not dismissing \Tau. I'm questioning Patel-Schneider's
requirements.