[sc34wg3] Topic Map View

Patrick Durusau sc34wg3@isotopicmaps.org
Tue, 14 Sep 2004 13:28:34 -0400

Dear Lutz,

Lutz Maicher wrote:
> Dear Patrick,
>
> thanks for your interesting answer, but my confusion lasts.
> Perhaps we take a look at Newcomb's formulation (and bear your example in
> mind for later discussion).

Sorry, will try again.

>>Note that in Newcomb's formulation, a 'subject-centric information
>>environment' = a subject proxy.

> Perhaps we can clarifiy some terms. After that, we can proceed our
> discussion.
>
> In the first line two terms are still unclear. What does "representation"
> mean in this context?

Nothing more than a topic map, in order to have rules applied to it, has
to be instantiated or represented.

> For the term "topic map of type X" I ask which rules
> does I need to determine the type of a topic map?

The TMRM defines the term Topic Map Application much along the same
lines as SGML Application in ISO 8879:

> 4.279 SGML application: Rules that apply SGML to a text processing
> application. An SGML application includes a formal specification of
> the markup constructs used in the application, expressed in SGML. It
> can also include a non-SGML definition of semantics, application
> conventions, and/or processing.

Or as Steve put it in a presentation in Montreal:

Used here as in “SGML Application”.  In other words, a Topic Map
Application (TMA) is:

	Rules for applying the notion of Topic Maps in order to meet specific
requirements.

	NOT a piece of software.   (I.e., “Application” here does NOT mean
“implementation”, “system”, “user interface”, or anything of that kind.)

(You can get all the slides from that presentation at:
http://www.coolheads.com/SRNPUBS/extreme2004/)

So, for any 'topic map of type X' you would need the TMA that defines
the rules for that topic map.

> In the second line "interpreting" ist the term in question. Which new
> knowledge I get after the interpretation of my "representation of a topic
> map of type X"?

See next question/answer.

> In my opinion, a Topic Map is a set of subject proxies. What is new, if a
> topic map view "is an interpretation in which everything has become explicit
> as a set of subject proxies"?

Yes, a topic map is a set of subject proxies but what the topic map view
makes explicit is that you can fashion rules to 'view' a data source as
a set of subject proxies.

Note the data source in question may unquestionably not be a topic map,
such as a relational database. But it is possible to view such a data
source, through the lens of a topic map, governed by a TMA, which
results in a view that is the set of subject proxies we agree is a topic
map.

> I guess, anything becomes clearer after your answer, but I think I need a
> good topic map example!

The best example I can think of off hand would be Ann Wrightson's slides
entitled: "Example to explore TMRM account in ISO JTC1/SC34 N527." Her
slides actually address the conferred property issue but illustrate
viewing two data sources using a topic map view. (I don't know if Ann
has posted this online but can send you a copy offlist if you are
interested.)

Hope you are having a great day!

Patrick

--